Day 4 Conclusion: First Attempt at Drinking

So today is overall a failure. I had been doing well all day, I was a hour late for my 4 pm nap , but I got it taken care of immediately afterwards. I even successfully took my 8 pm nap as my sister's family came for dinner. Tonight was one of the first nights that my nap schedule was actually inconvenient. After dinner which included a few glasses of wine, I went out to a bar with some friends. At the bar I had about 3 drinks, my overall condition that evening was typsy but not close to drunk. I missed my 12 am nap (as with my old cigarette habit, women are consistently my foil to completing goals), but I arrived home around 1ish and set my alarm clock immediately.

I am writing this having just woken up 15 minutes ago at 2:30. I am sleeping on my bed, but I moved the alarm clock right next to my ear. While I consider myself lucky for naturally waking up an hour and 20 minutes past my intended time rather than sleeping a straight 6-10 hours, this does not bode well for substance abuse at all! I assure you that my level of alcohol left me mildly inebriated but completely competent. I would like to blame my fatigue and failure on the fact that both my 4 pm and 12 am naps were delayed an hour, but I highly doubt that's the reason. I'm going to have to set up multiple alarms for when I drink at school. My mom has suggested that I shouldn't "binge drink" while I am doing this, but the intrigue about my experiment is its perspective from a substance abusing college student standpoint rather than work-at-home men. Even though I am only on Day 5, I do believe that this is the way of the future, but if kids aren't able to drink and do it, then polyphasic sleep will never take off.

Acknowledging all the above problems, I can't help but note that I'm decently awake right now. Sure I wouldn't mind going to sleep, but after I finish this post, I am going to start packing for my return to school tomorrow. My neurologist brother suggested that I get myself plugged into an electroencephaloram (EEG) so a professional can determine what sleep patterns I am actually engaged in (for general sleep research). I am completely in support of this idea (especially if I can get paid) but I don't think there are any universities in Maine (where I go to school) that have the technology. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

No comments: