Day 10: The First Real Challenge

Day 10 has been both good and bad. Last evening I screwed up with my alarm clock for my midnight nap (set it to pm instead of am), but I only overslept by 10 minutes! And this morning I woke up early from my 8 am nap. It seems that my body is really starting to recognize and adapt to a polyphasic cycle. That being said ... I was exhausted all day. I had trouble keeping my eyes open during a meeting with a professor, and I started nodding off in my 11 am class. I've been more alert since my 12 pm and 4 pm nap.

As for my eyesight, it seems to be getting better. I haven't read that much today, or at least not the amount that I was reading previously. I've given up doing homework with my contacts (even if I put Duane Reade 1.25 glasses on top), and I automatically change into my normal lenses (read: trifocals) if I'm doing homework.

But this evening the real challenge begins! Tonight will be my first break from a week of non-stop school, job, and extra-curricular work. I'm going out tonight for the first time since maybe a week or two before midterms?  Regardless though, tonight we see whether college is a feasible atmosphere for polyphasic sleep. As a monophasic sleeper, drinking has always knocked me out (the severity of the extent depending on the amount of alcohol consumed). While I have no intent on going crazy, I definitely will be having a few a drinks. When I leave for my midnight nap, I'm going to tell my friends that if I'm not back in a half-hour, they can come and wake me up ... a scary prospect in itself. That should be easy though. It's the 4 am nap that will be the make-or-break moment. Hopefully my 113 decibel alarm clock with its earthquake-esque vibrate will wake me.

This evening holds the possibility of setting my experiment back to day one. If I pass out and don't wake up until mid-afternoon or evening the next day, I will have to give serious thought to discontinuing my polyphasic sleep experiment. Some have said ... just don't drink, but the purpose of this experiment was to see if polyphasic sleep could coexist with my regular life not alter it.

That being said, have a great evening, and stay tuned. Tomorrow's blog will be this week's most important.

No comments: